Saturday, February 6, 2010

Groundswell (a story of sorts...)

In a bizarre chain of serendipitous events this came together before I finished my coffee this morning...

I was catching up on Rachael's blog where she linked to this which is worth a look. Then it occurred to me that wow, stuff like this is happening all around us and how cool is that? Shoestringers, Sweet Meats, all sorts of random and energetic collectives doing stuff all over the place. And then I thought, hey, we're part of a groundswell of a new generation of artists and makers who put together shows in alternative spaces and practice a DIY mentality on a daily basis. I think that's really awesome and powerful! So then I was thinking, well, groundswell isn't a word you hear or read every day so maybe I better check the defintion (below) but I only got to that after stumbling via Google onto this!

The Groundswell Collective

(I should note this happened early this morning, before coffee and after a pretty awesome dream I had that was consistent with all this stuff...)

Here's the standard definition for "groundswell":

groundswell

Contents

[hide]

[edit]English

[edit]Alternative forms

[edit]Etymology

ground + swell

[edit]Noun

groundswell (plural groundswells)

  1. (nautical) A broad undulation of the open ocean, often as the result of a distant disturbance
  2. (by extension) A broadly-based shifting of public opinion

so, to conclude, I have to say the evidence is clear:

Everything Is More Than One Thing...

and away we go...

1 comment:

James David said...

Is is amazing, I'm so glad you found us, and it's made so much better for your sharing how it happened! Drop us a line sometime.