Saturday, February 21, 2009

sentimental analogue







Maybe it was the photobooth pictures, or the pile of polaroids I recently unearthed while reorganizing my studio, but I have been thinking about photography more than I have in awhile. I haven't taken photographs seriously in over a year. I imagine that this is because the things that I found so pleasurable about it are no longer available to me. These are, in order of sentimentality, walking around new parts of a city, Philadelphia specifically, the smell of the color darkroom, the lack of control inherent to polaroid and cheap old cameras. And I guess I am posting this also because this time of year, I am sorely missing Philadelphia, and I thought I'd share some images of it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great shots!

Robert Croma said...

Ah, Marianne....I'd love to see some of the polaroids you unearthed. Always something magical about polaroid's unique formula that brings deep pleasure.

The analogue process of film development, its chemical aromas and revelations of image on print beneath a red bulb, was something very attractive to me. And cheap old cameras! A remembrance of things past, for sure, but one deeply imbued with creativity.

These four images make me want to go outside right now and walk the London streets 'seeing'. Exquisite.

HULDRA PRESS said...

thank you...I'm going to start scanning some of these polaroids soon and will post them when I do.